RULE OF THUMB | WORK FROM THE GENERAL TO THE SPECIFIC
1. Use Oxford Music Online or subject specific encyclopedias / dictionaries to identify key words, phrases, facts etc. about your topic.
2. Search PrinWeb and/or I-Share to locate books on your topic.
- Use the table of contents and/or index to find a chapter or section on your topic
- Read the section looking for additional key words, phrases, or facts about your topic.
- Try asking questions of the text. What do you think about what the author is saying? How does it relate to ____ ?
3. Combine keywords and phrases to search for journal articles in one of the article databases outlined int he journal articles tab. For searching strategies, consult the searching techniques tab.
4. Look through some of the internet website provided in the internet sites tab. Is there a website with a connection to your topic?
5. Do you need images for your assignment? Look for scores under the books and scores tab. Images? Look in ARTstor under the journal article tab.
If you have a question, ask a librarian
Ask A Librarian
8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday